About the Glenview Clothing Drive
Every year Kenrose partners with Glenview Elementary for two clothing drives - one in the Fall/Winter and one in the Spring. These drives are sponsored by Kenrose Student Council.
The Glenview Clothing Drive is a series of Collection Days and one Distribution Day.
Collection Days are what you see happening in the car line. Our community donates new and gently used clothes, shoes and accessories. Every item we collect is sorted and bagged, shoes are labeled and tied together.
Everything that is collected is brought to Glenview on Distribution Day. On this day, parent and student volunteers spend the majority of the day at Glenview. All of the clothing and items are organized and laid out in the Glenview cafeteria. Each Glenview classroom is then given a time where the students may come and “shop”. Our Kenrose volunteers are paired up with a student in each class, who they walk around and help pick out “new to them” clothes - usually at least one new outfit and shoes for those who need them. At the end of the day, the community comes to shop what remains.
For the Glenview students, this is an event that they look forward to so they can pick out a new outfit for school or play, or find an item that is much needed. Often, a student comes to the drive wearing shoes that are too small or have holes in them. In the Fall, we can also provide a warm coat to a child you may not have one.
For our Kenrose students, this can really be an eye-opening and rewarding experience. It’s an opportunity for our students to not only help a child their own age, but to also understand how fortunate many of us are.
About Glenview Elementary
- Glenview Elementary is a Nashville Metro Public School, located just 20 minutes away from Kenrose.
- It is a Pre-K through 4th grade school that is in an underprivileged, low-income area.
- The population of Glenview is extremely diverse – 80% of students are from a non-English speaking background.
- Glenview has been our partner school for over 10 years
How to get involved
Here is how you can get involved with this event:
- We collecting new and gently used items sizes 4 to 18. In the Fall we collected colder weather items and in the Spring we collect warmer weather items. As your child outgrows clothes or you clean out drawers and closets, set them aside for the next collection days.
- When the sign ups are available, consider volunteering for the next Collection or Distribution Days.
- To be the first to know about Glenview Opportunities, please be sure to mark your interest in the Clothing Drive on the Volunteer Interests page.
Reach out to Glenview Chairs Jo Franklin (email@example.com)